Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Christmas

So, I usually have a decent amount of CDs that come per week. Probably between 10 and 15. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

But today was the day to end all CD days.

I got 28 CDs in the mail today, including:

The new Wilco
A new Pleasure Forever b-sides and rarities collection
The new Pterodactyl
The new To Live and Shave and L.A. (released on a French label)
The new Weasel Walter (released on that same French label)
Tons of shit I've never heard of
AND
AND
AND
AND
AND
AND

The new Animal Collective CD that doesn't come out until:



September.

It's so damn good. They went back to their noise roots--it's going to alienate the shit out of people, but still rules.

I'm currently burning CDs for my students as I say goodbye to them.

Subtitle, Busdriver, MF Doom, Madvillian and Mr. Lif for Lorenzo (we engaged in a spirited debate with the rest of the class today on whether or not hip-hop lyrics, or any other lyrics, should be censored on public radio. He and I were the only two who didn't think they should be).

The Paper Chase and Murder By Death for Idania (she's a cellist and I already gave her Cursive and other Murder By Death stuff).

Saul Williams, MF Doom and Madvillian for Donovan.

Sleater-Kinney and Arcade Fire for Tasha.

Smashing Pumpkins for Maritza.

Portishead and Tricky for Uriel.

Probably all of the above hip-hop CDs + Beans for Arsenio, my aspiring rapper.



Burning CDs takes a long time.

2 Comments:

Blogger NickDean said...

From RollingStone.com (via Pitchfork, which is where I saw it and probably whre you saw it):


What is Dave Matthews listening to?

Matthews tells us about Xiu Xiu, the experimental indie project of Californian singer-songwriter Jamie Stewart, who, Matthews says, Tim Reynolds turned him on to.

“There’s something about it where you can’t put it down,” he says. “It’s like crazy person music, but it’s really slammin’ and it’s really beautiful. He’s a little bit precious maybe — and ‘a little bit’ may be understating it — but there’s something about it that I go back and I listen to it again, and I like it.”

9:33 AM  
Blogger NickDean said...

It's like two ends of the music world have come together, combining something you love and something Arien loves.

I haven't been to FeelingAnxious in ages, but I'm going to go there now and I'm hoping a Xiu Xiu story is waiting for me!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home