Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ipod Songs post #1

Stolen from Nick Dean. Let's see if I can keep it up longer:







1.) "Orange Spider" By mewithoutYou- From their newest album, Brother, Sister, this minute-long track barely gave me enough time to write about it. It's a goofy, intimate folk song that's part 2 in a trilogy of spider-themed songs. It surprised me the first time I ever heard it. It also made me realize that mewithoutYou absolutely has invigorating moments to share with the world, and anyone who doesn't give them a listen simply because their singer's a religious nut who dumpster dives is sorely missing out.

2.) "Wind Up" By Foo Fighters- I'll blame Jen for this one. I don't even really like the Foo Fighters all that much. Some of their hits are great songs, but I don't always like listening to "songs." She does. Our brains just work differently that way. Anthemic, but also brutally heavy, I have little love for this song. It's hard to buy someone screaming over ridiculously generic pop rock riffs/drums, etc...

3.) "In the Backseat" By Arcade Fire- God, what a gorgeous song, even though Regine has trouble staying on key more often than not. When she sings "My family tree's losing all it's leaves," given the backstory, it's absolutely heart-wrenching. And the driving metaphor as a metaphor not only for coping, but living? Expected in theme, but not in this sort of delivery. The song also ends Funeral much in the same way an actual funeral ends...there's a sense of catharsis, but also that pitted emptiness signified by the weeping, muted orchestra that ends the song.

4.) "Dr. Strangelove" By Blonde Redhead- Not going to lie to you. 23 is the first Blonde Redhead album I've ever heard (blasphemy, I know) and I've really only listened to it once or twice. With little frame of reference, I have a hard time figuring out anything constructive to say about the song (or the album for that matter). To these ears, it's pretty, indie rock sung by an Asian lady named Kazu. It does, however, make me curious to hear their more primitive albums.

5.) "1992" By Blur- For a while there, before I actually started trying to diversify my musical tastes, Blur was the first band that made me realize there's more out there than just what I selected from the radio to like. The other great "ballad" from 13 besides "Coffee and TV" blended the shoegaze-y fuzz of Blur with more traditional melodic rock. The main difference here is that Damon Albarn's vocals--of which there are few--aren't treated. If I shot up heroin, or even smoked pot, Blur and 13 would be among my first choices to get high with.

Well that was fun. My brain's kind of burnt, so I didn't really say anything of substance above. Oh well.

For the record, song 6 was "Each Other's Futures" by Year Future.

3 Comments:

Blogger NickDean said...

You bastard.

It's on.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Bring it.

10:38 PM  
Blogger b.s. said...

haha. Blur and 13 are good but i have a personal favorite. i remember getting "The Great Escape" back in high school and it came with a free tee. everyone called me blur for three years.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home