Wednesday, March 08, 2006

justasoulpatch*

I'm listening to The Black Angels, who are sorta dark, sorta Velvet Underground-ish. They're OK. Actually my first choice was Sunset Rubdown, the dude from Wolf Parade's darker, more experimental side project, but my $25 portable CD player won't play burned CDs, which, of course, is what the record label sent me because that's the new cheap thing.

As I was saying, The Black Angels are OK. I'd put them in the background in a sleezy movie. But, every once in a while I get this HUGE Oasis vibe from them, and that "Roll With It" song keeps filtering in and out of my brain while I'm listening to the CD. Which is oddly cool.

Anyway, www.auralminority.com has been bombarded with promos lately, many of which are from bands I've never heard of who are actually good:

Mason Proper (Kinda like Belle and Sebastian, but not British. That makes sense when you hear it.)
Helvetia (my early fav for album of the year, so far. kinda mixes modest mouse, sunny day real estate, sebadoh and the flaming lips. let that float around in your little brains. I'm also panicking because I can't find it. but i think it's in my car...)
A Whisper in the Noise (Shellac endorsed post-Nick Cave stuff, sorta like Black Heart Procession, but better)
The Seconds (what I would later learn was the sideproject of Brian from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and that dude from Ex Models)
Zuinosin (best Japanese band this side of Afrirampo)
Foot Foot (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)
Sunset Rubdown (aforementioned)

and a couple surprises:
Shoplifting (saw them live, wasn't impressed)
The Rogers Sisters (ditto)

and a couple mainstays:
Man Man (circus freaks)
Mae Shi (punk freaks)
Year Future (political goth punk freaks)
AIDS Wolf (post-Arab on Radar noise punk)
Rose For Bohdan (love punk)

and, given the amazing wrapup post by Nick Dean about the more mainstream stuff that's about to come out, this year should be rather dastardly amazing.

That's right folks. Dastardly amazing.

Now The Black Angels sound kinda like the Secret Machines, but not as powerful. I still don't really like it. Now I'm listening to The National.

This was a lame post...



*This Thunderbirds are Now! reference is regarding the fact I got bored with my beard and shaved it all off today, except of course for my soulpatch. Gotta leave something.

Now it hurts, is itchy and breaking out. I can't wait til it grows back.

I also believe I've contracted a nice case of athlete's foot too. That's what I get for starting to excersize again. Tough Actin' Tinactin my ass. The shit burns like a mother and takes like 3 weeks.

4 Comments:

Blogger NickDean said...

Not a lame post at all.

The Black Angels are decent-ish, but yeah... just sorta OK.

But as for The Secret Machines... I haven't really listened to their last album that much, but that new one - 10 Silver Drops - seems like it should be decent. The whole point of this rambling is to ask, have you seen that EP they have out? I forget the name and could probably quickly google it. BUT I saw it in Wal-Mart the other day and it had five songs, three of which were over the 8-minute-mark. i think. any idea if it's any good?

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

no...maybe i'll go pick it up...but make sure they're not songs from the album. they might be...

1:40 PM  
Blogger NickDean said...

yeah. i have no idea. it looked like it said 'includes songs previously unreleased in the U.S.' OR some such crap, which could mean three album tracks and two b-sides from some foreign single or something.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]spanningtime.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Research indicates that nearly 90% of all U.S. grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home