Friday, July 20, 2007

Interviews galore

I'm calling David Yow from Qui/The Jesus Lizard/Scratch Acid later today. It's a rather intimidating proposition, but I figure I'll just ask him about his bartending prowess to start, and go from there.

The new Qui album (due out Sept. 11) is one of my favorite records of the year by far. When I interviewed Elisa from Magik Markers the other day the album came up and she asked me what it sounded like and I told her Jesus Lizard fans would be happy, the band could tour with huge bands like Tool and be fine, but it could also tour with Magik Markers and wouldn't seem out of place. It's powerful, heavy, and brutally intense. What else would you expect from David Yow?

Elisa and I chatted about her favorite out of print records for DIW, and then chatted about a bunch of other random shit for a while. She's really, really nice. Her band's new album, Boss is coming out on Thurston Moore's Ecstatic Peace label comes out in September too (I think) and it rules. They've gone from being total noise psychos to the second coming of Janis Joplin and Jefferson Airplane, with noise taking place of psychedelic indulgences.

Speaking of Thurston Moore, Sonic Youth is playing an Urban Outfitters store tomorrow in Santa Monica to support L.A. institution KXLU. I'm pretty stoked, because I've a.) never seen them and b.) am on the VIP list.

Two days ago I spent an hour on the phone with Tim Harrington from Les Savy Fav chatting almost exclusively about their new album Let's Stay Friends. The album features guest vocals galore, tons of hollering and plenty of goth-y guitars. Oh, and Fred Armisen (Trenchmouth/SNL) on drums. I'm piecing the interview together for Geek, and will have to cut extensively. If I don't find an outlet for the Q & A, I'll probably just post it here.

In other news: Jen kicks my ass at Dr. Mario. (We inherited her gramma's old Supernintendo).

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home