Tuesday, November 20, 2007

There's no bigger bitch than when Itunes doesn't recognize the song titles of a CD.

I got a chance to see the following show on Friday night:

AIDS Wolf
xbxrx
HEALTH
Abe Vigoda

Other than xbxrx (who I've seen previously) I've been wanting to see all of these bands for as long as I've known about them. None disappointed.

Abe Vigoda were a lot gayer (literally) than I expected, but also a lot more fun. I was expecting a nastier band, but it seems as though they're going more in a "The Prayers" or "No Age" direction. I hate The Prayers and No Age though, so the fact I still liked what Abe Vigoda was up to turned out to be a nice discovery.

xbxrx played next and they killed it. I'm not a huge fan of their recorded output, but they're always an amazing kick in the teeth (literally and figuratively) live.

AIDS Wolf made me wish three things:

  • That I lived in Montreal
  • That I had seen them sooner
  • That I actually had a chance to see Arab on Radar
There are few bands that actually make me lose myself in the moment, but AIDS Wolf forced me to feel what they were creating. The crowd surges equally felt like a part of the show, rather than a nuisance. I already can't wait for them to come back.

HEALTH were easily the biggest surprise of the night. I haven't listened to their new album in a really long time, and I had kind of forgotten what they sounded like. But even their self-titled debut couldn't have prepared me for their visual onslaught. They opened with the a cappella "Lost Time," which immediately made me realize I was about to see something on the special side. Alternating between noise, punk, hardcore and avant, the band seemed highly choreographed, but not especially contrived. It seemed as though they were painting a portrait aurally.

Or something.

I took plenty of pictures, but we still haven't found the USB cable that connects the camera to the computer after the move into our new house. I'll upload them at Jen's house in San Diego and then post a few here.

In other The Smell news: I was calling someone and didn't notice that I was standing under that wire near the building that's home to about 40 pigeons. The homeless dude who works the door/does security alerted me to this fact and I thanked him. He then asked me for money and I gave him $5.

.............

We bought two kitties. One is named Riley. The other is named Peter "The Bandit" Cetera. They're are terrified of the house (it's way bigger than the cage they'd been living in) and only let us pet them when they're hungry. But they're pretty funny and terrorize the house while we're sleeping.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home