Thursday, March 16, 2006

news and notes post

I saw the Animal Collective the other day. It was a weird mix of people at the show (500 capacity) because they're friends with a lot of San Diego musicians, so the usual people were there (peppermints, ex-business lady, mr. and mrs. tribute to ugliness, the che folks, Chris Woo) BUT the Animal Collective has also been in Spin. And Rolling Stone. so there were plenty of the abercrombie kids there too, which was weird, but expected.

What I didn't expect was the Animal Collective to be as heavy as they were live. Lots of screaming and lots of crazy panda bear percussion. I don't think the crowd really knew what to do with themselves, which is always fun.

Most importantly though, BARR went over really well. He told me some of the dates on the tour were 1,500 capacity sellouts, which has got to be intimidating for a dude who's up there doing spoken word by himself. He also told me an interesting story about The Arcade Fire peeps, which I probably shouldn't relate here.

Just in case.

Anyway, I got a CD by an insane band called Gays in the Military. As you can see in the photo, the dudes are old, hairy and crazy, and, in my opinion, better than The Hold Steady at claiming the crown the Murder City Devils left wide open when they broke up.

The Hold Steady signed with Vagrant, who are partially owned by Interscope. This intrigues me because it signals them holding up a white flag in regards to emo, I think. I wonder who else they're gunning for. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

I'm going to see, hopefully, An Albatross, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, His Name is Alive, A Whisper in the Noise and Arab Strap next week. Three shows in three nights, two in San Diego and one in L.A.

I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

Also saw the Blackheart Procession. They were ok--I like the new CD a lot better, but that might just be because I was standing next to a psychotic black chick who kept screaming all kinds of amazing things like, "Chula Vista Represent," "Miles Davis, Mothafucka" and "I'm in an all girl, all black punk band, nigga! Rocket From the Crypt is producing our album."

I was making fun of her to Gabe from The Locust and he said he had a run-in with her when he was in high school. Apparently he and Jimmy LaValle from The Album Leaf went to school together and ran into her at a coffee shop. They didn't know she was insane at the time, so they took her up on her invite to hang out at her place.

When she started taking off all her clothes, they ran.

Best story ever.

Oh, and Sons and Daughters is the worst fucking television show that's trying to be edgy I've seen in a long time.

1 Comments:

Blogger NickDean said...

YES!

-Odd stuff going on at Vagrant. I was noticing that when they signed E. of The Eels and it's like, eh? Also, The Comas?

-And television? What's up with this massive explosion of shitty, derivative (sp?) sitcoms? i caught parts of thesew two new shows Free Ride and The Loop on Fox recently. Haven't seen Sons & Daughters, but god... the others are like writers trying to splice too much of The Office, Garden State, Arrested Development and The O.C. together. OR SOMETHING. I don't know. Blah.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home